Google
 
size="31" type="text"/>

Sunday, November 25, 2007

What About the Pistons?


I received a comment in response to saying that the Celtics are the best team in the East, saying that I forgot about the Pistons. First of all, thank you for reading, and for giving your feedback. I didn't forgot about Detroit, but I do think that their time in the spotlight is coming to a close. They've been a dominant force in the East for several years now, but I don't see them beating a team like Boston in a playoff series (they did lose to the Cavs in last season's Conference Finals 4-2). Unlike the Spurs (who have successfully endured over the years, and continue to do so), who have received some youth-infusion with Tony Parker & Manu Ginobili, the Pistons pretty much have the same aging line-up (not to say that Billups, Hamilton, Prince & Wallace aren't all excellent players, especially when playing together).


I do think that Detroit will be in the playoffs this year, and with the few number of decent teams in the East, they should move past the first round (unless they falter into the #7 or #8 spot). But I don't see them going to the Championships. I could very well be wrong (wouldn't be the first time!), but I'm predicting the Celtics to win the East.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

You have to remember that with the Pistons, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Same with the Spurs.

That cannot be said for the Celtics. The Celtics will cool off, as will the Magic. The Pistons are a steady, consistent team, and they get better and better down the stretch and into the playoffs, where the Celtics and Magic just don't have the experience or depth to beat a team like the Pistons.